Identifying Life Science Adjacency Opportunities
The client, an MNC company present in the field of design, manufacture and marketing of industrial and consumer products operating in five segments namely – dental, industrial technologies life-science and diagnostics and environmental. They are currently examining opportunities to deepen its presence in India through strategic M&A and other pioneering efforts. They have asked UC to evaluate different opportunities adjacent to Life – Sciences which they can look to pursue.
In order to identify and examine to business opportunities to deepen the clients presence in the country UC adopted the following approach:
● Understand existing businesses in order to understand existing capabilities and offerings.
● Develop a landscape of the industry trends and understand impact on the clients businesses which includes market trends, demand drivers and overall industry structure.
● Define lenses/framework to identify adjacencies which included:
- Synergy through customer relationships
- Product extensions
- Value chain extensions
- New customers for existing products
- Competitor offerings and business models
- Leverage of capabilities and skills
● A long list of laundry list of opportunities the client can look at undertaking. These were then further shortlisted on the following criteria’s:
- Addressable market potential
- Growth expectations
- Ease of market entry
- Competitive intensity and its implications to the client
- Strength of synergy with existing capabilities/offerings
● These 3-4 shortlisted opportunities were then ranked based on the above criteria’s.
The client was given a shortlisted opportunities list (3-4) which was further evaluated with a deep dive into each opportunity. The client then chose one opportunity which they wanted to further pursue.